You Belong Image with Seal & Website

Financial Aid Resources


National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the Department of Education's data clearinghouse for all government backed student loans and grants. Students and other borrowers who have Title IV loans or Pell Grants can gain access to any of their loan/grant information through this government maintained database. Information available on the NSLDS site that you might need access to:

  • Your current loan status
  • Disbursement information
  • Loan balances
  • Grant awards

Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE)

CHE’s mission is to make college affordable through need-based grants and to allow choice by granting awards to those attending public, independent & proprietary colleges. Visit CHE to learn about:

  • Your eligibility for state financial aid.
  • View the history of grants, awards and scholarships you have received from the state of Indiana.
  • Change your first-choice college.
  • Update your address and phone number.
  • Check to see if you have any outstanding issues that might prevent you from getting state aid.

Loan Repayment Calculators

Helpful information about budgeting and calculating your loan repayment is available at, under "Use the Repayment Estimator"

Creative Performance Scholarship

Learn more about CCSJ's Creative Performance Scholarship at FinancialAid/Contests.

College Bound Scholarship

Now You Have A Private College Choice!
Hammond College Bound Basic Qualifications

College Bound Logo
  • Complete an application which will define educational history, college destination, and provide for a release of academic records (high school cumulative GPA).
  • Provide proof of home purchase date and proof of homestead deduction.
  • Demonstrate that he/she resides in an owner-occupied home within Hammond City limits. Proof of home ownership for the purposes of College Bound will require that the parent or legal guardian own a home with a current homestead exemption.
  • Be able to provide proof of legal guardianship in those situations where a natural parent is not the legal guardian. Student eligibility will be impacted by the date in which such guardianship is established.
  • Attend any accredited public or private school. Home-schooled students may apply for the scholarship through the program’s exception process.

For more information, please call (219) 473-4215 or visit the City of Hammond’s College Bound Program Page

View Award Letter

Award letters must be accessed from your CCSJ Student Online Services Account:

  1. Go to MyCCSJ
  2. Log-in with your account information
  3. Scroll over the Financials tab on the Welcome Page
  4. Select Financial Aid Award Letter (you may also select: 1) "Missing Documents" for a detailed list of any items the Office of Financial Aid has requested from you and 2) "Shopping Sheet" for a standardized, informational notice that provides you with additional details about the College as well as more information to help you in understanding the bottom-line of college costs.)
  5. From the drop down box, select the year from which you would like an award letter

Online award letters are updated every Wednesday and Friday afternoon.
You are also able to view your shopping sheet via your online account under the Financials tab. The shopping sheet is a standardized, informational notice that provides you with additional details about the College as well as more information to help you in understanding the bottom-line of college costs.
If you need assistance with your CCSJ username and/or password, and you are unable to retrieve it using the Forgotten Password option, please contact Computer Services at (219) 473-4366.

Return of Title IV Policy

Return of Title IV Policy (R2T4) for Complete Withdrawals

Federal financial aid recipients who withdraw from all courses before 60% of the term is completed are subject to Title IV regulations. Calumet College must always return any unearned Title IV funds within 45 days of the date the school determined the student completely withdrew from all attempted courses for the payment period and offer any post-withdrawal disbursement within 30 days of the date the school determined the student withdrew. Title IV funds are federal funds which includes the Federal Pell Grant, SEOG, and all Federal Direct Loans.
The date of official withdrawal is the date the student begins the withdrawal process by completing required paperwork with Academic Advising. If a student officially completely withdraws after the 60% point in any given term, none of the student's federal financial aid will be returned.
An unofficial withdrawal occurs when a student does not complete withdrawal paperwork nor does the student notify the instructor of their intent to withdraw due to an illness, accident, grievous personal loss or other circumstance beyond the student's control. Because this student stops attending, the withdrawal date defaults to the midpoint of the semester and the student will receive the grade of FW. When a student receives Ws or FWs for all courses attempted, that student will then be subject to R2T4 regulations.
If a student completely withdraws, drops, or stops attending before financial aid is disbursed for the semester, the student may be eligible to receive a Post-Withdrawal disbursement. A Post-Withdrawal disbursement is for students who were eligible to receive Title IV Aid, but the aid did not disburse before the student stopped attending. The Financial Aid Office will determine if any aid was earned by using the calculation below in the example based on the student's withdrawal date.
If a student did not receive all of the funds that were earned, that student may be due a post-withdraw disbursement. If the post- withdraw disbursement included loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Your school may automatically use all or a portion of your post- withdraw disbursement (including loan funds, if you accept them for tuition and fees. For all other school charges, the school needs your permission to use the post-withdraw disbursement. If you do not give you permission (which some schools ask for when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

Order of Return of Title IV funds

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid during the payment period as applicable, in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans (other than Direct PLUS Loans)
  • Subsidized Direct Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return is required
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)


A sophomore withdraws three weeks into the semester. She was charged full-time undergraduate tuition of $8,365. A $2,250 subsidized Direct Loan paid some of charges; she paid the remainder from savings and has a $0 balance on her student account on the day of withdrawal. There are 109 days in the semester; she attended 23.

  • Percentage of earned aid = 23/109 = 21.1% earned.
  • Unearned aid = 100% - 21.1% (earned) = 78.9% unearned.
  • $2,250 (aid received) X 21.1% = $474.75 earned.
  • $2,250 - $474.75 = $1,775.25 unearned.
  • Amount of Aid to be Returned by School = Institutional charges times unearned percentage; $11,300 X 78.9% = $8,915.70.
  • Since $8,915.70 exceeds the amount of unearned aid, the lesser number is used. Therefore, $1,775 of the subsidized Direct Loan disbursement would be reversed from her student account. The loan debt is reduced but the student would have a tuition balance of $1,775 which would need to be paid before she could register for another term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

Effective date July 1, 2011
Federal legislation governing all federal financial aid programs requires that students receiving federal financial aid make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree in order to maintain eligibility for this aid. It is the policy of Calumet College of St. Joseph that all recipients of all financial aid programs, including state and institutionally funded programs, are subject to the same satisfactory academic progress standards as those for federal financial aid.
Satisfactory academic progress at CCSJ is monitored at the end of each fall, spring and summer semester. All SAP standards are reviewed based on all classes in all semesters taken at CCSJ. Additionally, all accepted transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities are included in the calculation of the Percentage of Credits Completed Standard. If a student changes majors or seeks to earn additional degrees, the calculations remain the same. However, if a student receives a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree, the calculations will start over the semester following degree completion. (Please note: SAP standards are the minimum criteria for maintaining financial aid eligibility. Certain forms of financial aid may carry other requirements for renewal.)

SAP consists of three parts

  • Qualitative standard based on GPA
    All undergraduate students are required to maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA and graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA. Any student falling below that standard for any enrolled term will be placed on academic warning but will still qualify for financial aid. If a student continues below the standard in a subsequent term, that student will be placed on financial aid suspension and will not qualify for any form of financial aid.
  • Quantitative standard based on rate of completion
    Rate of completion is evaluated after each enrolled term by dividing the cumulative credit hours earned by the cumulative credit hours attempted or enrolled. Students are required to maintain a rate of completion at 67% to meet SAP standards. Repeated courses, withdrawals, and incompletes do not count toward a student’s GPA but do count toward credit hours enrolled. Transfer hours accepted toward completion of a student’s program count as both credit hours enrolled and credit hours completed.
  • Maximum Time Frame Standard
    Students are expected to complete all academic requirements for a degree within 150% of the published length of the educational program in which the student is enrolled. Accepted transfer credit hours are included in the calculation of the Maximum Time Frame Standard. Below are examples of maximum time frame requirements:


Required Hours to Complete Degree

Maximum Attempted Hours


58 - 60

87 - 90


118 - 120

177 - 180


36 - 67

54 - 101

SAP Evaluation

  • SAP is calculated at the end of each fall, spring and summer semester for qualitative and quantitative progress.
  • Students meeting the standards listed above when calculated will be in SAP good standing.
  • The first semester a student does not meet the standard, the student will be placed on SAP Warning. The student will still qualify for financial aid.
  • The second consecutive semester a student does not meet the standard, the student will be placed on SAP Suspension. The student will not qualify for financial aid. The student will have to submit an appeal to be considered for financial aid reinstatement.


  • Courses taken at CCSJ are counted as hours attempted regardless of grades assigned. This includes incomplete failures, or withdrawals.
  • Only courses earning passing grades for progressing toward degree completion will be counted as earned. ( Example: A, B, B+, B-, C, and P)
  • Courses graded with an F, FW, W, or I count as credit hours attempted but not earned. Additional courses with non-passing results are counted similarly.
  • All courses designated as repeated for grade improvement are counted as hours attempted and if passed as hours earned.
  • Audit and non-credit classes are ineligible for financial aid do not count in SAP calculations.

Additional Earned Credits and Remedial Courses

  • Credit hours earned by testing and other non-standard means are counted in the SAP calculation as both attempted and earned. This includes hours earned from Credit by Exam, CLEP, LEAP, AP courses, Dual Credit Courses, ACE credits and Military Experience Credits.
  • All credits attempted through consortium agreements with other institutions counts as both attempted and earned if passing grades are received.
  • Remedial courses count in both attempted and earned hours calculations even though credits may not apply toward completion requirements. Remedial courses also impact GPA calculations.

SAP Appeal Process

  • SAP Suspensions may be appealed if unusual or mitigating circumstances affected academic progress. Such circumstances may include a severe illness or injury to the student or an immediate family member, the death of a student’s relative, student activation into military service, or other circumstance deemed appropriate for consideration by the SAP Appeals Committee.
  • The student must complete the following SAP Appeal Form:   
            SAP Appeal Form
  • The student will be notified by email of the decision made by the appeals committee.
  • All appeal approvals are accompanied with an academic plan that outlines conditions by which a student can regain SAP Good Standing status and it requires a student’s signature.
  • All decisions of the SAP Appeals Committee are final and a student is limited to 2 appeals only.
  • All students who raise their cumulative standards to equal or exceed the minimum requirements will be reinstated to SAP Good Standing.

Student Loans

Federal Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Subsidized Loan

  This is a loan for which you must qualify based on financial need. The amount for which you qualify is based on your dependency status, enrollment status, and on your level of need.

Federal Unsubsidized Loan

  This loan is not based on financial need. However, the amount that you may borrow is limited by your dependency status, enrollment status, and cost of attendance.

  Your CCSJ estimated award letter will list the maximum federal subsidized and unsubsidized loan amounts for which you qualify based on the information available to the CCSJ Office of Financial Aid at the time the award letter was created. Though federal subsidized and unsubsidized loan money may be listed on your award letter, there is no requirement that you take out these loans. Also, you do not need to apply for the entire loan amount; you may apply only for the portion of the loan that you need.

Interest Rates for Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  For more information regarding interest rates, visit StudentAid.Ed.Gov

Student Loan Default Rate
  Cohort Default Rate is the percentage of a school's borrowers who enter repayment on student loans during a federal fiscal year (October 1 to September 30) and default prior to the end of the next one to three fiscal years. The following are the rates released by the Department of Education for CCSJ:

Cohort Year

3-Year Official Rate


















PLUS* (Parental Loan for Undergraduate Students) Loan

  PLUS loans are federal loans available to parents of undergraduate students. The loan limit for PLUS loans is based on the student’s cost of attendance minus other forms of financial aid received. The parent PLUS loan is based on credit worthiness meaning a credit check must be submitted. Repayment of PLUS loans can be differed until the participating student ceases to attend college at least half time.
  If a parent is declined as a result of the credit check, the parent can appeal the results by going to and documenting extenuating circumstances or by obtaining an endorser. Another option for a declined PLUS loan is for the undergraduate student to request additional unsubsidized loans from the Office of Financial Aid.

Parent eligibility requirements for a Direct PLUS Loan
  You must be the student's biological or adoptive parent or the student's stepparent, if the biological or adoptive parent has remarried at the time of application. Your child must be a dependent student who is enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct Loan Program. For financial aid purposes, a student is considered "dependent" if he or she is under 24, unmarried, and has no legal dependents at the time the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is submitted. (Exceptions are made for veterans, wards of court, and other special circumstances.) If a student is considered dependent, then the income and the assets of the parent have to be reported on the FAFSA.

Additional requirements to receive a PLUS loan
  Parent PLUS loan borrowers cannot have an adverse credit history.If upon completion of the credit check, the parent is denied, the parent can appeal teh denial by going to and documenting extenuating circumstances or by obtaining an endorser. If then approved, the parent must complete PLUS Loan Counseling before the loan is disbursed. In addition, parents and their dependent child must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant, and must meet other general eligibility requirements for the Federal Student Aid programs. You can find more information about these requirements in Funding Education Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid.

Loan limits, interest rate, and loan charges
There are no set limits for Direct PLUS Loans, but you may not borrow more than the cost of your child's education minus any other financial aid received, such as a Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan. The school will determine the actual amount you may borrow.
  The interest rate as of June 10th, 2019 for Direct PLUS Loans is a fixed rate of 7.6%. Interest is charged on Direct PLUS Loans during all periods, beginning on the date of your loan's first disbursement. To find out more information on interest rates for Direct PLUS Loans, contact your loan servicer.
  In addition to interest, you pay a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the principal amount of each Direct PLUS Loan that you receive. This fee helps reduce the cost of making these low-interest loans. We deduct the fee before you receive any loan money, so the loan amount you actually receive will be less than the amount you have to repay. The origination fee as of June 10th 2019 for Direct PLUS Loans is 4.248%.
  Dependent students whose parents have applied for but were unable to get a PLUS Loan are eligible to receive additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds.

  There is no grace period for a Direct PLUS Loan—the repayment period begins 60 days after your school makes the last disbursement of the loan. However, if you're a parent PLUS borrower who is also a student, you can defer repayment while you're enrolled in school at least half time and (for Direct PLUS Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008) for an additional 6 months after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment.
  If you're a parent PLUS borrower, you can defer repayment of Direct PLUS Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, while the student for whom you obtained the loan is enrolled at least half time, and for an additional 6 months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment (half-time enrollment status is determined by your child's school). You must separately request each deferment period.

Applying for a Parent PLUS Loan
  In order for a PLUS loan to be processed, the consent of the parent borrower is required. The Consent to Obtain Credit Report, which can be downloaded from the link below is to be completed by the parent of the student who wishes to apply for a PLUS loan. A CCSJ Financial Aid staff member will then process the credit check through the Federal Direct Loan website. Credit check approval is requirement of the Federal Direct PLUS Loan process.
  The Federal Direct PLUS loan application form is to be completed by both the student and the parent. The purpose of this form is for the parent to indicate the amount of the loan requested and the academic period for which the loan will be used. If you are unsure of the amount of the loan that you will need, contact the CCSJ Office of Financial Aid at 219-473-4296.

Mail both completed forms to:
Calumet College of St. Joseph
Office of Financial Aid
2400 New York Ave.
Whiting, IN 46394
Or fax to: 219- 473-4340

  If your PLUS loan has been approved, the parent requesting the loan must complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). If your PLUS loan was approved after documenting extenuating circumstances or by obtaining an endorser, you must complete both the MPN and the PLUS loan counseling.

Denied for a Parent PLUS Loan
If the parent PLUS loan is denied, the undergraduate student can then qualify for additional unsubsidized federal student loans by requesting the additional funds from the Office of Financial Aid.

Alternative Loan

  Another loan option that may be available to assist in the financing of a student's education in addition to the Federal loans is an alternative loan. Alternative loans, also known as private loans, are those defined as loans that come from a bank, credit union, or other nongovernmental source. These loans are not regulated by the federal government and have adjustable interest rates. The terms of the loans will vary from lender to lender, and the interest rate may be significantly higher than that of a Federal loan. Calumet College of St. Joseph does not promote specific lenders. In fact, we want to ensure that all students have exhausted all other Federal loan options before suggesting an alternative loan. We implore you to thoroughly research all options before making your decision.

Alternative Loan Code of Conduct
  Calumet College of St. Joseph does not participate in any revenue -sharing arrangements with any lenders, does not steer borrowers to particular lenders or delay alternative loan certifications, and does not participate in offering of funds for private loans to students in exchange for providing concessions or promises to the lender for a specific number of federal student aid loans, a specified loan volume, or a preferred lender arrangement. This code of conduct is applicable to all officers, employees, and agents of the College and employees of the Office of Financial Aid are prohibited from receiving gifts from a lender, guaranty agency, or loan servicer; as well as accepting compensation for any consulting arrangement or contract to provide services to or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans and service on an advisory board, commission, or group established by lenders or guarantors, except for reimbursement for reasonable expenses. (This information is in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education’s regulations on lender relationships)
  The following web sites may provide you with useful information in researching lenders offering private educational loans.

Loan Limits

  The federal government limits the loan amount you can borrow based on your enrollment status, dependency status, and year in school. Below are the current annual loan limits. All students requesting a student loan for the first time are required to complete entrance counseling and a master promissory note. Before leaving CCSJ, students who have borrowed Stafford loans are required to complete Exit Counseling. These counseling sessions will provide you with detailed information about the student loan process.

  ***New Federal Time Limitation on Direct Subsidized Loans for First-Time Borrowers effective July 1, 2013! There is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. In general, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the published length of your program. This is called your "maximum eligibility period". For example, if you are enrolled in a 4-year bachelor's degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 6 years (150% of 4 years = 6 years). If you are enrolled in a 2-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 3 years (150% of 2 years = 3 years). After you have received Direct Subsidized Loans for your maximum eligibility period, you are no longer eligible to receive additional Direct Subsidized Loans. However, you may continue to receive Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

  In addition, if you continue to be enrolled in any undergraduate program after you have received Direct Subsidized Loans for your maximum eligibility period, the government will no longer (with certain exceptions) pay the interest that accrues on your Direct Subsidized Loans for periods when they would normally have done so.

  Review information on the new limit on the maximum period of time a student can receive Direct Subsidized Loans HERE

Dependent Undergraduates



First Year



Second Year



Third Year & Beyond



Independent Undergraduates



First Year



Second Year



Third Year & Beyond



Graduate & Professional Students


All Years of Study


  Find out about loan repayment amounts and budgeting tips by going to:

Repayment of Student Loans

You have many options to choose from in repaying your student loans. Repayment plans can range from 10 years to 30 years. Other plans are based on income, regardless of your indebtedness. The shorter the repayment plan, the less interest you pay on your loans. Deferment and forbearance options are also available if you are unable to pay on your student loans for a period of time. These various repayment options provide borrowers with added flexibility when they are choosing their career path.

In most cases, repayment of your federal student loans begins approximately six months after you graduate. You can access calculators on the Web to see how much you would be paying. For more information on all your repayment options please go to the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Web site.

For loan interest rates, fees and other useful information on student loan borrowing and other tips for loan repayment, here is a resource you might find useful.

Some students choose to consolidate their loans before selecting a repayment plan. To learn more about your student loan consolidation options, please review this helpful Consolidation Information.

Income-Driven Repayment Plans and Public Service Loan forgiveness

Two programs have been created which are of great importance to graduates who have high debts and low incomes, particularly for those who are planning a career in a public interest occupation (government and most non-profit organizations).

Income-Driven Repayment Plans

Loan payments are capped at 10-15% of monthly discretionary income. Discretionary income is defined to be the adjusted gross income of the student (and spouse, if you file jointly) minus 150% of the poverty level for the borrower’s family size. You can learn more about the two most popular income-driven repayment plans on the Federal Student Aid website by clicking on these links: Pay As You Earn and Income Based Repayment.

A single borrower enrolled in Pay as You Earn who owes $100,000 of debt at an interest rate of 6.8% with an adjusted gross income of $40,000 would pay only $194 per month. The payment amount increases as earnings increase. This amount is significantly lower than the standard monthly payment of $1,155. Any loan balance remaining after 20 years of repayment under Pay As You Earn is forgiven.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program

Under this program, loans can potentially be forgiven after 10 years of repayment in an income-driven repayment plan. Borrowers who make 120 on-time payments on their Direct Loans while engaged in a full-time public service occupation can request that their remaining loan balance be forgiven. For more information about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, please see PSLF.

Office of Financial Aid

Office: Room 120
Phone: (219) 473-4379
FAX: (219) 473-4340

Monday & Tuesday:
9:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.

Wednesday & Thursday:
9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.